SDA AGM Saturday 17th November 2018, from 10.30 – 12 noon in the Taunton Library Meeting Room, Paul Street, TA1 3XZ.
Talk by Mark Long, Lead Advisory Teacher with Somerset Learning Support Service.
DYSLEXIA – WHAT IS IT AND WHAT HELPS?
Mark will help us develop a clearer understanding of dyslexia and show us strategies to help support students with dyslexia. Mark trains teachers for Somerset’s Inclusive Dyslexia Friendly Schools Award. There will be an opportunity to ask questions.
All SDA members and anyone else interested are warmly invited. Entrance FREE. There will be specilaist teachers to talk to.
PROGRAMME FOR THE MORNING
- 10 to 10.30: Annual General Meeting. All SDA members and anyone else interested are warmly invited.
- 10.30 to 12.00 The presentation by Mark with question time to follow.
SDA 2019 Conference – Thursday 25th April 2019
Pen to Paper – “I don’t know what to write!” “I don’t know how to start!”
Speakers: Rachel Ingram and Julia Rowlandson
Rachel Ingham and Julia Rowlandson are both highly experienced SEN consultants, trainers and lecturers who have worked in schools in a wide variety of roles, including teaching. They have combined their expertise to form ‘Understanding and Supporting Learning’ (http://www.us-l.co.uk/) which provides training in SpLD, both freelance and for the British Dyslexia Association and the National Education Union.
- Julia’s presentation, ‘Writing is hard work’ – will address the multiple skills involved in writing and the need to find out where the writer’s strengths and challenges lie; she will suggest helpful activities in the inclusive classroom.
- Rachel’s presentation, ‘Think Twice – Write Once’ -developing metacognitive reflection -will help teachers increase their understanding of strategies to enhance learners’ awareness of ways they can improve their writing.
After lunch you can choose one of the two interactive practical sessions, which will be followed by Q & A:
- Julia: Primary: Strategies to develop the emergent writer which will expand on the multiple skills involved in the writing process and highlight the barriers for the learners with SEND. OR
- Rachel: Secondary and beyond: Strategies to further develop writing skills and academic writing in preparation for successful GCSE grades across the curriculum… and beyond.
TICKETS will be £65. This covers all refreshments and free parking on the day. Members of the SDA qualify for a discounted rate £50. To join the SDA please go to the Membership page on this website.