Somerset Dyslexia Association (SDA) is run by a group of local, friendly volunteers. We support children and their families, students and adults who are experiencing difficulty with reading and writing. We work to raise public awareness and understanding of dyslexia.
Initially set up by a group of concerned parents 34 years ago, the SDA has grown to be one of the most active local dyslexia associations in England. It is a registered charity, number 289263.
Thursday 5th May 2022 Conference - Booking opens September 2021
Get it right for Dyslexia – get it right for all!
Speaker: Neil Mackay
(Keynote speaker at the British Dyslexia Association Feb 2020 conference)This conference is about how to implement inclusive practices for students who think faster than they read, write and spell.
- Very practical workshop setting - full of things to do/try tomorrow to raise the achievement of students with Dyslexic Type Learning Needs in unsupported mainstream settings
- Solution focused approaches to address poor working memory, slow speed of processing, cognitive overload etc for our students who typically think faster than they deliver
- Inclusive solutions in the form of high impact accommodations for students who are on the Dyslexia Spectrum, usually without a formal label and who:
- use jargon words appropriately but who struggle to spell at that level
- comprehend better than they decode – or decode better than they comprehend
- can talk a great narrative but struggle to get it down on paper.